USING NUTRITION TO UNDO BRAIN DAMAGE CAUSED BY PLAQUE BUILDUP
Dr. John Heinerman
ApoE is a type of protein responsible for binding lipids, such as fat and cholesterol. It also helps transport them through the respiratory and circulatory systems.
However, as we get older, a nasty variant of this protein type develops within many of us. Scientists have designated it as ApoE4.
Gene Variant Damages
ApoE4 causes a great deal of damage within the brain and circulatory system. The pathway for this is quite treacherous.
It increases the risk of capillary damage within the brain. (Capillaries are thread-thin blood vessels found throughout your body, but especially in brain tissue.) This leads to a breakdown of the blood-brain barrier. After which the flow of vital oxygen and precious nutrients is severely obstructed throughout the brain. The result is a huge buildup of toxic materials that are normally filtered out through healthy circulation. In turn, this causes damage to nerve cells within the brain.
Separate from all of this is something else just as bad. As if things couldn’t get any worse, the ApoE4 variant increases the buildup of amyloid plaques throughout the brain. These are responsible for causing a variety of neurological conditions:
- Alzheimer’s disease (AD)
- AD-type dementia
- Memory loss
- Impaired judgment
- Loss of intellect
- Severe structural changes within the brain
- Varying degrees of mental retardation
- Down’s syndrome
- Other neurodegenerative diseases
Undoing the Damage
“Understanding the role of ApoE4 in all of these neurodegenerative diseases may be one of the most important avenues towards finding new therapies for treating them.” So says Berislav Zlokovic, Ph.D., director of the Zilkha Neurogenetic Institute with the Keck School of Medicine at the University of Southern California.
Such therapies would lend themselves nicely to improving the vascular health of people predisposed to a variety of neurological disorders. Dr. Zlokovic believes such treatments, can alter the course of events leading to breakdowns in brain functions and brain capillary health. (Nature journal, May 16, 2012)
But a small group of nutritionals - a specific collection of nutrients and herbs - seem to be exceptional in retarding brain damage and micro vessel inflammation induced by ApoE4. They are as follows:
- N-Acetyl-L-Carnitine decreases damage to brain capillaries.
- Phosphatidyle Choline helps prevent breakdown of blood-brain barrier.
- Capsaicin (an extract from cayenne pepper) helps remove brain obstructions to allow for increased flow of oxygen and food-derived nutrients.
- Alpha Lipoic Acid helps to filter out backlog of toxic substances from the brain.
- Gingerol (an extract from ginger root) and curcumin (an extract from turmeric root) improve micro vessel blood circulation.
- Co-enzyme Q10 reduces blood vessel inflammation.
- Black Tea Flavonoids (extracts from Camellia sinensis) prevent further amyloid plaque buildup, but do nothing for existing protein fragment accumulations already in the brain.
Consistent use of these nutritionals has been shown to improve vascular health and alleviate the development of neurodegenerative changes within the brain.
It may interest you to know that they are all contained in IQ Protect® along with several other interesting compounds. If you’d like to know more just follow this link: IQ Protect®
Dr. Hans Dorfmund of the Institute of Pharmaceutical and Nutritional Biology at Berlin Independent University.
Dr. Frederick Schnelzer of the Bundesfachwerband der Arzneimittel-Hersteller (BAH) of Bonn.
Prof. Dr. Mx Wichtl’s Ein Handbuch für die Praxis auf wissenschaftlicher Grundlage (Stuttgart, Germany: Wissenschaftliche Verlagsgesellschaft mbH, 2012).